"Stay
here. Give me a few minutes to clean up and I will get you a ride
home. OK?" She just looked at him. "Promise me," Bret
said firmly.
"Alright,"
she said, shrugging her shoulder away from him, sitting back down.
"Wait
here," Bret said. She just curled up and rested her head on the
arm of the couch.
Bret
left to go take a quick shower, as he could tell she didn't care for
all the stage make-up. Ten minutes later he was back, dressed in
jeans, boots, t-shirt, a vest, and his trademark bandanna around his
head. Some of his blond hair arranged around it.
While
Bret was gone, Rayna berated herself for letting anyone see her fear.
Sheila was the only one who knew. She tried to get close to guys, but
always ended up breaking things off. She really was hoping to feel
something with Bret, but all she felt was smothered. Damn. She didn't
hear Bret come up till she heard her name.
"Rayna,
are you ready?" Bret asked politely, holding out his hand to
help up.
I
took hold of his hand and felt a shock. The heat in his look told her
he felt it, too.
Bret
put a hand on the small of her back and escorted her out into a
hallway where they met up with the security guard, Kimo, who led the
way to the waiting limo.
I
stopped short of getting in, turning to Bret and said, "Oh My
God! I forgot about Sheila."
"Don't
worry. I took care of things. She's with Rikki for the rest of the
night and Kimo, here, will look out for her."
"Thanks,"
I said and got in the limo, Bret right behind me.
"Tell
me where you live."
I
told him and he told the driver and there was a given that they
always took the long way, giving the guys more time with whatever
girl they were with.
Bret
scooted closer to her and put an arm behind her along the back of the
seat, his other arm going around her waist, leaned into kiss her. He
was doing OK, light kisses turning into a beautiful french kiss,
until he started moving his hand up under her shirt. He was so hard
for her and taking it slow was slipping away from him. She started to
struggle and push him away.
Bret
wanted to kiss her, I could see his desire for me in his eyes. I
wanted to let him, tamping down my panic. Without all the show
make-up, Bret was a handsome man and she had a weakness for six pack
abs! Bret had a magnificent body, she had to admit! From soft sensual
kisses, Bret moved to a more open mouthed kiss, running his tongue
lightly across my lips. I opened my mouth letting him go further. I
was OK so far, no panic, trying to go with the moment, wanting a
normal relationship. A normal sex life. Bret started to lean on me,
though, his hands moving up under my shirt and I lost it. It felt
like I was being suffocated. Crushed.
I
started struggling, pushing him away. It was hard as Bret was really
turned on, but I managed to get him off me. "I'm sorry," I
said sullenly, scooting into a corner of the limo. Upset more with
myself than Bret. He probably thinks I am a tease. God. I thought
rolling my eyes at myself.
Bret
laid back on the other side, panting, trying to control his desire,
but at the moment his hard on was killing him.
"What's
wrong?" Bret asked, his pain making him sound angry.
"Nothing.
I just don't like strange guys touching me."
Bret
knew she was lying. She looked scared, not pissed. Besides, she was
white as a ghost. Bret left her alone for now, while his desire
subsided.. He may chase anything in a skirt, but he was still a
gentleman and didn't force them. But he was not one to give up.
Rayna
sat there brooding. Dammit! She hated this. Rayna had never told
anyone what happened, except Sheila. Sheila knew. Had been there to
pick up the pieces. Sheila was her best friend since elementary.
Bret
finally calmed down and poured himself a stiff drink, downed it and
asked, "So what do you do?"
"I
am going to law school," I said.
"Well
that explains the notebook."
"I
have classes tomorrow or is it today? Anyway, I was studying my
notes."
"Do
you work?"
"I
do. I clerk at a local law office."
Bret
had to ask each question as she was not forthcoming with additional
information, but it was beginning to relax her and take her mind off
the physical contact.
"What
kind of law are you going to get into?" Bret asked, pouring
another drink.
She
gave him a hideous look as he downed the drink, and said, "I am
going to try to go into law in support of abused women and children."
Bret
looked at Rayna. She was still looking at the glass. Well, he didn't
know if she realized what she said, but now he knew the basis for her
fear. She may have been abused or sexually assaulted. Instinctively
Bret knew not to push her anymore, and he put down the glass for now.
The
window separating the driver from them rolled down and the driver
said, "Bret we're almost there."
"Thanks,
Man," Bret said and the window rolled back up.
Rayna
still sat in the corner, arms crossed, never having really relaxed.
Bret wanted her now more than ever. More than a one night stand.
Since they were in town, starting on recording a new album, he would
have time to pursue her. She didn't know it yet, but she was going to
be his. He had had so many bad relationships. He never had to chase
after one before. Maybe he was looking in the wrong place, he
thought, but Rayna was worth it to try.
Bret
took hold of her hand, pulling her to him so she was above him, but
still put one of his hands behind her head to initiate the kiss. She
just braced her hands on either side of him to really keep from
touching him. The limo stopped and Rayna pulled back and said,
"Thanks for the ride home. You'll make sure Sheila's ok?"
"Yes,"
Bret said. "Can I call you tomorrow?"
Smiling
sadly, Rayna said, "No, I don't think so." But had a look
of longing on her face. Bret took that as a good sign. Maybe he could
enlist Sheila's help.
"Goodnight,
Rayna," Bret said.
"Goodbye,
Bret," I replied, watching as the limo drove off. I turned and
entered the apartment I shared with Sheila. Sadness and longing
almost too much to bear.
No comments:
Post a Comment